❘ Issued: 2022-10-28T16:08:20
❘ Updated: 2022-10-28T16:08:34
To get the maximum performance of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 with high FPS and keep the good look of the new game, you want to adjust the graphics settings on PC. Here are the best settings for PC players on MW2, with a quick explanation of each.
These days, new PC games come with a laundry list of video settings to play with, and while some might be self-explanatory, you might be scratching your head as to what FidelityFX CAS is, for example.
Here are the definitive best PC settings for Modern Warfare 2, to ensure you get a buttery smooth frame rate no matter what GPU you have, while still keeping the game looking its best as you play.
Best PC settings on MW2 for maximum FPS
While we all like pretty games, for a shooter like Modern Warfare 2, you want to make sure you’re getting the most frames per second out of your GPU, even if it means some shadows and reflections.
But some graphics settings can be useful on a higher setting from a gaming perspective, so you don’t want to just turn everything to “low” and call it a day. Here are the best settings to use.
Display settings for MW2
- Display Mode: Full Screen Exclusive – Best for reducing latency
- Display Monitor: Choose yours primary screen with the highest refresh rate
- Display adapter: This is yours alone graphics card
- Screen Refresh: Maximum for your monitor (144 Hz, 240 Hz etc.)
- Screen resolution: Set this to 1080p – If you have a very high end GPU, you could use 1440p, but 1080p will be better for FPS. 4K is not recommended as it will significantly affect FPS.
- Dynamic Resolution: Off – this can change the resolution of the game in unexpected moments, which can be distracting
First, you need to make sure your display settings are correct for your computer and monitor.
- Image format: Auto (16:9)
- V-Sync Playback: Off – V-Sync on may cause increased latency
- V-Sync Menu: Off
- Custom Frame Rate Limit: habit
- Gaming Custom Frame Rate Limit: 300
- Menu Custom Frame Rate Limit: 90
- Defocus Custom Frame Rate Limit: 30
- Display Range: 2.2 (sRGB)
- Brightness: preference
- Focus Mode: Off
- Quality Presets: habit
- Return Resolution: 100
- Magnification / Sharpening: FidelityFX CAS
- FidelityFX CAS Strength: 65 – This will make the game sharper without affecting FPS much.
- Anti-aliasing: SMAA T2X
- Anti-Aliasing Quality: Normal – Having fixed this as well Low will improve FPS marginally, but the quality improvement from Normal is probably worth it.
- Video Memory Scale: 90 – You want to use the maximum VRAM available.
These are the optimal MW2 settings for your graphics for maximum FPS.
- Texture Resolution: Low
- Texture Filter Anisotropic: Tall – FPS barely affected by this higher setting
- Close Detail: Low
- Remote Detail: Low
- Clutter Draw Distance: Short
- Particle Quality: Tall – High can improve performance, will almost never reduce FPS
- Particle Quality Level: Low
- Bullet Effects and Sprays: On – Important for multiplayer gameplay
- Shade Quality: Low
- Tessellation: Off
- Field Memory: Max
- On-demand Texture Rendering: Off
- Streaming Quality: Low
- Volumetric Quality: Low
- Delayed Physical Quality: Low – Only affects water
- Water caustic: Off – Only affects water
- Shade Map Resolution: Low
- Point Shadow Quality: Low
- Cache Spot Shadows: On
- Point cache: Low
- Cache Sun Shadows: On
- Particle Lighting: Low
- Ambient Occlusion: Off
- Screen Spatial Reflections: Off
- Quality of Static Reflection: Low
- Weather Grid Volumes: Off
- Nvidia Reflex Low Latency: On – Significantly improves latency. If you are CPU bound, use the ON+BOOST option.
- Depth of field: your preference
- World Motion Blur: Off
- Weapon Motion Blur: Off
- Film Grain: 0.00
- Field of view: 100–110 – This is up to you, but around 100 should give the best balance between visibility and performance. Higher values also make distant enemies harder to see.
- ADS field of view: affected
- Weapon field of view: By default
- Third Person Field of View: 80-100
- Vehicle Field of View: By default
- 1st Personal Camera Movement: Less (50%)
- 3rd Person Camera Movement: Less (50%)
- Third Party ADS Transition: Your Preference
- Default Viewer Camera: Your Preference
Those are the best settings for Modern Warfare 2 on PC to maximize your FPS while still enjoying good graphical fidelity and no gameplay drawbacks.
Of course, one obvious way to also increase your FPS is to get a more powerful graphics card, so check out our list of the best GPUs here. You should also make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed.
MW2 also has a built-in benchmark tool that you can use, so you can set your settings, then select the benchmark playlist to test the results.
For more on Modern Warfare 2, be sure to check out our other guides:
Modern Warfare 2 New Equipment Guide: Lethals and Tacticals Explained | How to swipe Cancel in Modern Warfare 2 | How to unlock Oni Operator & Blueprint in Modern Warfare 2 | All Modern Warfare 2 Killstreaks | What is Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops mode? | All benefits of Modern Warfare 2 | All Modern Warfare 2 Field Updates