Most computer monitors have a built-in speaker. If you’re using a laptop, it probably has a built-in speaker as well. While the audio output quality is debatable, these built-in audio devices help in the absence of an external audio setup.
However, what if your computer speaker or external audio setup stops working, and you don’t have time to troubleshoot? If you have a working Android phone, you can use it as an external speaker for your computer. Here we show you the two ways to turn your Android phone into a computer speaker with the help of an app.
Use Your Android Phone as a Wireless PC Speaker Using AudioRelay
AudioRelay is an audio streaming app that lets you turn your Android phone into a wireless computer speaker. It supports both wireless and wired audio streaming modes.
To connect your Android phone to your computer, you will need to install the AudioRelay PC client on your Windows, macOS or Linux machine, as well as on your compatible Android device.
The free version of the program is ad-supported and limited in features. If you want, you can upgrade to the premium version to remove ads. The subscription also brings support for multi-device streaming and lets you adjust the audio quality settings.
Download: AudioRelay for Android | Windows | Mac | Linux (free, in-app purchases available)
We are using Windows for this guide. Follow the steps below to turn your Android phone into a wireless speaker.
- Make sure your Android phone and computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Next, download the AudioRelay app on your Windows PC, then run the installer and click Later.
- Make sure to select all the options below the Select More Tasks section
- click Install to complete the installation and restart your computer.
- After the reboot, launch the AudioRelay app on your computer.
- Next, download and install the AudioReplay Android app on your phone.
- Launch the app on your phone and tap to begin.
- Tap on your Computer name under the Servers section
- Once connected to your computer, you will see your Android phone listed under the Connections section in the computer client.
- That’s it! Now play something on your computer to hear the audio from your phone’s speaker.
- You can also adjust the audio volume of the AudioRelay PC client.
- To stop streaming audio, tap on the stop button in the Android app.
The quality of audio output largely depends on the quality of your phone’s speaker. If you upgrade to the advanced version, you can access uncompressed audio, compression options, buffer volume control and some other nice features to improve the sound quality.
Use an Android Phone as a Wired PC Speaker
If you cannot connect to the same WiFi network or find the wireless connection slow, you can use AudioRelay in wired mode. It uses a USB connection and offers reduced delays by sending the audio over a USB connection. You can use USB tethering to connect mobile Internet to your computer as well.
Follow these steps to turn your Android phone into a computer speaker using USB tethering.
- Make sure you have installed the AudioRelay app on your computer and Android phone.
- Next, connect your Android to your computer with a USB cable and make sure the phone is detected.
- In the AudioRelay Android app, scroll down to the USB tethering section
- Then, click Settings open your phone’s mobile hotspot and tethering settings.
- Here, turn on the switch for USB tethering to turn it on.
- Next, go back to the AudioRelay app on your Phone.
- Under the Servers section, tap on the new entry with your computer name.
- In the desktop client, your phone name will appear under the Connections section
- Play anything on your computer to output the audio through your phone’s speaker.
If you have difficulty streaming using the USB tethering option, try using a different USB cable or alternate USB port.
Additionally, you can also use your Android phone as a microphone for your computer. To do this, in the AudioRelay PC client, open the Player tab and select the Microphone option under the Mode section
Turning Your Android Phone into a PC Speaker
AudioRelay is a great way to turn your Android phone into a computer speaker. That said, it is not without its flaws. The audio quality in the free version is only manageable. Also, the app automatically disconnects from your computer if you are playing something on your smartphone.
However, if your computer speaker or microphone decides to give up in the middle of something, AudioRelay lets you use your Android phone as a temporary replacement.