❘ Issued: 2022-10-26T13:05:22
❘ Updated: 2022-10-26T13:05:32
With Minecraft update 1.20 teased during Minecraft Live 2022 and update 1.19.40 recently released, many players are looking to update their game. Here’s how to do it.
Minecraft is a huge game full of several elements that all need to be updated from time to time. That’s why updates for Minecraft are relatively regular. While this is useful and means that some issues are fixed quickly, it can be frustrating for players who need to update their games again.
Because of this, we have compiled how you can update Minecraft on your preferred platform so that you always get the best version of the game.
How to update Minecraft on the Switch
Updating Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch is relatively easy, here’s how to do it:
- Load Minecraft on your Switch
- A window will pop up about the new update
- Press the button in that window to go to the eShop
- Download the new update
Once the update is processed and downloaded, simply go back into the game and enjoy.
How to update Minecraft on PC
Since there are two versions of Minecraft on the PC, there are two different instructions to follow. If you own a Mac then you will use the Java Edition.
PC players who enjoy the Windows edition for Minecraft should see their game update automatically. If it doesn’t, follow these steps:
- Open the Microsoft store
- Select the tree points on the top right
- Click on ‘Downloads and updates’
- Select “Apply updates”
- Start your Minecraft update
Wait for that to finish and you will have the newly updated game ready to play.
The Java edition will require you to download the Minecraft launcher, which can be downloaded on the Minecraft website. Once that is done, follow these steps:
- Open the Minecraft launcher
- If the launcher doesn’t show the most recent update, press the arrow to the right of the play button
- Select ‘Latest Edition’
Then the game will be ready to enjoy.
How to update Minecraft on Xbox
When it comes to updating Minecraft on your Xbox, it’s similar to how any other game needs to be updated on the console:
- Go to ‘My Apps and Games’
- Press the more options button in Minecraft
- Select ‘Manage game and add-ons’
- Then press ‘updates’
- If any are available, they will be available here and you can update them
The game should update automatically for you, but you can always check it by following the same steps.
How to update Minecraft on PlayStation
Similar to Xbox, your Playstation will automatically update Minecraft. However, for some players, their updates are not automatic. If this is the case, follow these steps:
- Find Minecraft in your library
- Select the game using the ‘options’ button
- Click ‘check for update’
- Update if necessary and play
Fortunately, due to the nature and size of most Minecraft updates, the download shouldn’t take too long.
How to update Minecraft on mobile
Updating Minecraft on your IOS or Android works the same way as many other app updates. Follow these steps:
- Go to the App Store or Google Play
- Find Minecraft in your library
- If necessary, it will prompt you to update
- Press update and wait for it to install
Some mobile phones will withhold an application update, so be sure to check back regularly if you missed a newer version of Minecraft.
This way you can update Minecraft on all your chosen consoles. While waiting for it to complete your update, check out some of our other handy Minecraft guides, as well as all the Minecraft Life 2022 news:
Everything announced in Minecraft Live 2022 | All coming to Minecraft 1.20 update | Everything we know about the 1.20 Minecraft Camel | Sniffer added as a new fan-voted mob | Minecraft Legends first look | Minecraft Batman DLC | | Where to find the Pigstep Music Disc | Best Minecraft Seeds | How to get Honeycomb | How to make a Brewing Stand | What does Smite do? | How to make a bed | How to tame & breed horses and donkeys | How to make Lanterns | Minecraft 1.19.40 patch notes