Publisher Assemble Entertainment and A lacuna developer DigiTales Interactive announced Between Horizons2.5D sci-fi detective adventure game coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, Switch and PC via Steam and GOG in Q4 2023.
Here’s an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Between Horizons is placed on the Zephyr, humanity’s first generation ship on its way to another star. You take on the role of Stella, who was born on the ship 24 years ago and recently inherited her father’s position as Chief of Security. Dive into the conspiracy behind the incident that threatens to disrupt the Zephyr’s social order and thwart its mission.
Between Horizons is a modern 2.5D pixel art adventure that brings a branching story into a semi-open world. The team at DigiTales applied many lessons from their first game Lacuna and proven solutions to detective game design problems to maximize player agency in the investigative process – all the while maintaining the tight pacing of a meaningful story that will ask you to reassess your moral compass. and make increasingly difficult decisions as the situation on the ship spirals out of control.
- A New Kind of Experience – Between Horizons fuses investigative-style gameplay with a branching sci-fi story in an ever-expanding Metroidvania-style setting.
- Solving Cases for Yourself – The flexible evidence system allows players to assign clues to cases, confront ship dwellers about them and present any case with evidence that players have connected to it. Everything found on the ship is connected, but figuring out how — that’s the challenge.
- At What Cost? – Beneath the game’s exciting and believable sci-fi plot lie some thought-provoking issues that invite players to weigh intergenerational responsibility against personal freedom.
- Gaining a New Perspective – Timeless pixel art mixed with 3D environments and compelling visual effects come together Between Horizonscreating a unique, beautiful art style.
- Failure is Very Possible – There are no second chances — submitting incorrect solutions means the story will continue and players will live with the consequences. A new and improved auto-save system will ensure there is no going back, as story branches and endings are based on player decisions, none of which can be undone.
Watch the announcement trailer below.