Submissions are open to SMA’s artistic and artistic departments 11:59pm CST, October 3, 2022.
Continue to complete rules and eligibility criteria
Download in PDF format.
Categories at a Glance
Artist: Artist of the Year
Please note these are broad genre categories. Artists should select the genre closest/most appropriate to their work.
Nominees and winners in this category will be determined by a combination of artistic merit and career achievement. 3 tracks commercially released between April 15, 2021-October 3, 2022 must be submitted. There are no sales qualifications for this category.
- Alternative Artist of the Year: Progressive new music outside the metal/loud or rock/pop categories including but not limited to alt rock, alt pop, punk and sub-genres/hybrids.
- Country Artist of the Year: including but not limited to mainstream and traditional country.
- Electronic Artist of the Year: including but not limited to dance and instrumental electronic.
- Experimental or Contemporary Artist of the Year: This category recognizes an innovative, non-mainstream, instrumental or eclectic album without genre limitations based on artistic vision and creative merit. It also aims to recognize artists working in a genre that produces a limited number of releases each year. Genres that may be suitable for this category include but are not limited to spoken word, acoustic, jazz, classical, children’s, magical house, comedy, and original soundtracks.
- Hip Hop Artist of the Year: Including but not limited to Hip Hop, Rap, Urban R&B, and Neo Soul.
- Instrumentalist of the Year: Acoustic instrumentals, classical, jazz, trip hop, chillout, original scores and others are not limited to. (New for 2022.)
- Metal/Loud Artist of the Year: including but not limited to hard rock, metal, punk, heavy alternative, and heavy instrumental.
- R&B Artist of the Year: including but not limited to soul, funk, and rhythm and blues.
- Rock/Pop Artist of the Year: Considered mainstream, including but not limited to rock, pop, blues, and adult contemporary.
- Roots/Folk Artist of the Year: including but not limited to roots, folk, singer/songwriter, traditional blues and Americana.
- Indigenous Artist of the Year: This category will recognize self-identified Aboriginal artists who create music of any genre. Submissions may include any contemporary genre such as the categories above, as well as traditional music and fusions that incorporate traditional instruments/rhythms and/or reflect Aboriginal experiences through their lyrics. For this category, submissions must include at least 2 songs for the jury to consider that have been released to the public within the period.
i amArtist: Single of the Year
This category recognizes the best commercial Saskatchewan song of the year released during the period April 15, 2021-October 3, 2022, as determined by a numerical calculation of industry data.
Artist: Music Video of the Year
This category recognizes an exceptional music video made available to the public between April 15, 2021-October 3, 2022.
Artist: Album of the Year
This category is based on a full-length album released between October 15, 2021–October 3, 2022. All types of music are considered. An industry jury determines a long list of finalists, which then go out to the general public as a “Best Saskatchewan Album of 2022” online poll that will determine the top ten and winner.
Department of Industry
Nominees and winners in this category refer to activities during the period April 15, 2021-October 3, 2022.
- Industry Achievement Award: Will recognize excellence in the provision of skills and/or services and by those who help build Saskatchewan’s community and music industry. Final nominees will be determined by an art jury, with winners determined by a combination of art jury and public vote.
- Music Company of the Year: Will recognize a music business/organization that has demonstrated excellence in service, sales or craftsmanship in their offering to the public and/or the music industry. Final nominees will be determined by an art jury, with winners determined by a combination of art jury and public vote. (New for 2022)
- Music Professional of the Year: Recognizes an individual who has provided excellent sales, service, expertise, craftsmanship or volunteerism. (New for 2022)
- Venue or Festival of the Year: Will recognize live music venues and music festivals that strive to celebrate and present live music with excellence in individual shows/events and alternative programming initiatives as well as programming and community engagement. Final nominees will be determined by an art jury, with winners determined by a combination of art jury and public vote.
- Producer of the Year: Will recognize excellence in music production by a producer residing in Saskatchewan who was primarily responsible for the recording and/or mixing process of a submitted project(s) released during the eligibility period.
Special Honors: Tribal Music Achievement Award
This award will recognize excellence in demonstrating musical impact, leadership, innovation and/or community-building that has created a positive and lasting impact on the Indigenous music community. This award is intended to honor a long-term commitment to integrity and involvement in music that has inspired and uplifted others, and will consider the individual’s work over their career.
Art Award Submissions Art Award Submissions
For updates, check this page, and make sure you’re there Subscribe to SaskMusic e-releases.
Questions? communication Sask Music 1-800-347-0676 (toll free within Sask.) or 306-347-0676.
See who has been nominated for the 2021 Saskatchewan Music Awards
Best Saskatchewan Albums of 2021: Top Ten
i amView previous years’ SMA nominees and winners