By Allan Fox: WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman confirmed today that Deontay Wilder and Andy Ruiz Jr will be sanctioned at the WBC General Meeting on November 8.
Wilder has already said he is ready to fight Ruiz Jr in a WBC elimination. The only thing that will change his mind is if he gets an offer to fight Anthony Joshua or Oleksandr Usyk.
The winner of the fight is Tyson Fury’s new challenger, who will defend him next year. Fury fulfilled his WBC obligation on April 30, defeating Dillian Whyte in the sixth round.
The unbeaten Fury now has a year until his next mandatory WBC bout in 2023.
Wilder (43-2-1, 42 KOs) knocked out Robert Helenius in the first round earlier this month on October 15th in his return from a twelve-month layoff.
For his part, Ruiz (35-2, 22 KOs) defeated Luis ‘King Kong’ Ortiz by 12 round unanimous decision on September 4th in a tough fight from start to finish.
“The WBC has sanctioned two of them as elimination fights. Andy Ruiz is against it [Luis] ‘King Kong’ Ortiz and Wilder and Helenius. All the winners will face each other for the final elimination and for a mandatory position in the WBC,” said Mauricio Sulaiman to Fighthype.
“Wilder is a great fighter. He was the WBC champion for five years and defended the title eleven times.
“It was one of the greatest heavyweight fights I’ve ever seen. Andy Ruiz is a great fighter. He won when he knocked out Joshua and lost the feeling of being a real champion, but he came back.
“He had a great fight against Ortiz, and it’s going to be an interesting fight for the winner of the title fight.
“All responsibilities will be discussed on November 8th in the morning, and obligations will come later.. As you have witnessed, it is an open discussion.
“Anyone can come to the microphone and present their complaints and positions. Then the WBC board voted for her there.
“Each position will be reviewed from heavyweight to heavyweight, and we will make a decision on that day for each position,” said Sulaiman.